Premier Urology Group, Department of Radiation Oncology, is dedicated to providing state of the art IG-IMRT (Image Guided Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy) therapy for patients who have elected to treat their prostate cancer with Radiation Therapy. Our highly skilled and caring staff provide a comforting and convenient environment for our patients to treat their prostate cancer. Our treatments are delivered by an exceedingly accurate, state of the art TomoTherapy® Hi Art®linear accelerator that allows for prompt, painless and efficacious treatments.
Our treatment team consists of professional and accomplished Urologists, Radiation Oncologists, radiation therapists, medical dosimetrists, and physicists. Each member of staff is dedicated to providing you with all the information and support you will need through the treatment process. Our facility provides a unique, calming and spa-like environment. Each patient will receive a personalized treatment plan to achieve the best rate of cure. Our staff will ensure these treatments are convenient and punctual so that you may continue your daily life with minimal interruption.
TomoTherapy® is just one of the state of the art prostate cancer treatments offered by the physicians of Premier Urology Group. For more information on other treatment options, including Robotic Radical Retropubic Prostatectomy, Bilateral nerve sparing Radical Retropubic Prostatectomy, Prostatic Brachytherapy (implantation of radioactive seeds into the prostate), Chemotherapy, Hormonal Therapy and other options please contact our office.
About TomoTherapy® (Hi-Art Image Guided Treatment System):
- Sophisticated all in one device that brings greater accuracy to the treatment of prostate cancer by imaging the prostate on a daily basis and delivering the radiation treatments to the exact location designed by our custom treatment plan for you
- Unparalleled precision minimizing damage to surrounding healthy tissue
- 360º helical radiation combined with CT imaging guidance. On a daily basis your prostate is imaged and mapped to provide extremely accurate radiation of your prostate and account for any changes in size, position or anatomy. This allows for maximal treatment of the cancer and negligible effect on surrounding tissue and organs.
- TomoTherapy® treatments are completely painless. This system provides a more effective and efficient radiation process when compared to standard radiation therapy. The tumor is treated more accurately every day, increasing the safety and efficacy profile and decreasing the side effect risk.
Starting Radiation Therapy Treatment: What to Expect:
Once you have been diagnosed with prostate cancer your Urologist will review all treatment options available for treatment with you. If you have chosen to proceed with IMRT (Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy) here is what to expect:
- Radiation Oncologist Consult
Your urologist will refer you to the Cranford Office of Premier Urology Group. Here, you will see in consultation one of our highly experienced Radiation Oncologists, a board-certified physician who is specially trained to use radiation therapy. He will discuss in detail how radiation therapy works, what will be required for treatment, potential side effects and how IMRT is different and more efficacious than standard radiation therapy. He will then create a custom treatment for you.
- CT Simulation - precisely mapping the tumor
Once, you have decided to proceed with IMRT, you will be scheduled for a "CT simulation" at our Cranford state of the art facility. During the CT simulation, we will take a CT scan of your prostate that precisely identifies your prostate’s size, shape and location. The Radiation Oncologist, medical dosimetrist and radiation physicist will create a custom treatment plan specially designed for you.
- Radiation Treatments
- Radiation treatments are typically 10-15 minute treatments 5 times a week, for 5 to 8 1/2 weeks. Your custom treatment plan will determine the exact length of your treatment.
- Treatments are given by an experienced radiation therapist.
- All patients will be required to have a full bladder for each daily treatment. Water is available in the waiting area if necessary, but a full bladder on arrival will decrease your waiting time. This will allow the bladder to be visualized and to provide a more consistent image every day. This will also minimize potential side effects.
- We will image your prostate each day to ensure precise targeting of the tumor
- Radiation treatment will e delivered from several angles to give you the most targeted treatment possible. Please remain still during treatment. You'll be able to communicate with us at all times.
- Each day after your treatment, you can immediately resume your normal activities.
- During your course of treatment you will have a weekly visit with the nurse and doctor to evaluate your status and side effects. These visits also give you an opportunity to ask questions and express concerns regarding your treatment.
- Side effects
- Side effects: Possible increased urinary frequency, burning, urgency, hesitancy with start of urinary stream, weak urinary stream, rectal discomfort, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding.
- Side effects may start to develop 2-3 weeks after the start of treatment. Side effects that do develop during your course of treatment will start to subside after daily treatments are completed.
- In general, side effects are greatly minimized with our latest radiation technology. Many of the mild urinary side effects can be treated with simple, effective medications.
At Premier Urology Group we are all here to aid and assist you during your treatment.
Our goal is to achieve your optimal satisfaction and to make this difficult time as comfortable as possible.